Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Favorite No- Salt Seasonings

Although I'm not on a sodium-restricted diet, I do try to moderate my sodium intake so long as it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of my food. Through the years I've learned that the over-reliance on salt can be an excuse for careless recipe construction, a cover-up for lower-quality ingredients, or a lazy substitute for creative (and more pleasing) seasonings. Don't get me wrong: Sometimes I crave, and indulge in, a salty snack. But making delicious and satisfying salt-free or low-sodium food isn't difficult if you are willing to try seasonings that might be new to you. Here are three very different -- and very flavorful -- salt free seasonings that I enjoy and use. Trust me, you won't miss the salt. In fact, I was surprised to learn that two of these have no sodium when I looked at the label after I'd been using them for some time!

1. Louisiana Bayou Blend Seasoning: This is my go-to savory spice blend when I want to add zesty peppery flavor to any recipe calling for salt and pepper as seasonings. Mild on the heat scale, the nice thing about this all-purpose seasoning is that no one flavor stands out (it's not overly garlicky, for example), which means you can add it to any recipe to enhance it without altering it -- just like you'd use salt and pepper.

2. Mama T's Olive Oil Vinaigrette: I use this classic herb vinaigrette as an everyday salad dressing for tossed salads as well as for steamed or microwaved vegetables. It's an excellent choice when feeding a group of folks who may have different dietary concerns or preferences, and where a creamy or strongly-flavored salad dressing might not please everyone. But more importantly, this salt-free vinaigrette is delicious as a salad dressing AND as a marinade for everything from fish and shellfish to chicken, veggies and even steak or other meat.

3. Jump Up & Kiss Me Spicy Passion Fruit Sauce: If you enjoy spicy sauces with a twist of fruit, this all-natural, medium-heat no-sodium hot sauce is a must-have. Made with habanero peppers, pineapple and passion fruit, the tropical flavors are like an island vacation for your mouth. The judicious use of savory ingredients like onions and spices keeps this luscious sauce from being too sweet. With layers of rich, palate-pleasing flavors and just the right amount of peppery kick, Jump Up & Kiss Me Passion Fruit Hot Sauce perfectly balances sweet & tangy for a seductive taste that complements seafood, poultry, pork, stir-fry dishes, Caribbean fare and more.

If you're interested in trying other low-salt or no-salt sauces and seasonings, make sure to check our complete list of no sodium and low sodium products.

Zestfully yours,
Gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment