Sunday, September 7, 2008

Boar & Castle Recollections

It's time for another installment of Boar & Castle memories, submitted by folks who miss their Boar & Castle Sauce, a favorite of patrons of the old Boar & Castle Restaurant in Greensboro, NC, as well as people like me who were introduced to this delicious steak sauce by friends or family long after the restaurant closed. As you know if you've been reading my blog, the restaurant closed in 1979 but the sauce was still available in local grocery stores and online from the Carolina Sauce Company until last year, when the manufacturer closed his business. We've been keeping a list of people who want to be notified if Boar & Castle Sauce is ever available again, and many of them have shared their thoughts and memories about the sauce and the restaurant. Here are some of their recollections:

“I have been looking for Boar and Castle Sauce for years. PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that it being out of stock is only a temporary situation.... I cannot imagine that it is no longer being produced. I am one of MANY who miss the old Boar and Castle, and there is no way to explain to our kids that wonderful flavor.... you just have to try it to understand!! I am so sad. I am a hostess in a seafood restaurant on the coast of NC. I was raised in the Greensboro area most of my life. I graduated from Grimsley High in 1981 and some of our happiest times in school were spent eating steak sandwiches at the Boar and Castle Drive In (corner of Walker Ave and Market St). I want you to know that everytime.... and I mean EVERYTIME we get a customer that is from the Piedmont area, all you hear is how wonderful Yum Yums is and how no one can believe that the Boar and Castle has been out of business so long, and no one can understand why they went out of business to begin with!! Please, if you are able to contact the holders of the recipe, let them know there is a market for their sauce, and let them know that today, there are A LOT of people who still lay claim to the fact that 'you were very lucky to have been raised in the Boar and Castle days!'” --K.S.

“Please, please, where can I find this sauce? I was raised on sliced pork, with dill chips and Boar and Castle sauce along with a bottled Orange Crush! Take me back!” --R.B., Durham, NC

“Please notifiy me if the Boar and Castle sauce is made again. I have cooked with this sauce for many years and enjoyed it with my Steaks, Hamburgers, Chicken, and Fries. I remember going to the "Castle" as a young girl. I always ate 2 sandwiches. If I had known this product was being discontinued I would have bought the stores out and stocked up on this fabulous sauce. Please consider bringing it back. There are alot of us out here that really miss this.” --C.L.
“From our days of cruising the Castle in Greensboro, NC, to now, my husband and I remain faithful to Boar and Castle Sauce. Please notify us if this sauce becomes available again.” --D. & P.B., Pleasant Garden, NC

“PLEASE add me to your waiting list to be notified if you get any Boar & Castle Sauce. It’s my FAVORITE steak sauce. My sister-in-law, who grew up in Greensboro, now lives in Nebraska. I’ve been sending it to her for years – she’s got her Nebraska husband hooked too. I can’t bear to tell her I can’t get any more!” --B.T., Kernersville NC

If you'd like to be added to our waiting list, or if you have a Boar & Castle memory you'd like to share, please email us at "salesATcarolinasauceDOTcom." You can also leave a comment on this blog, but if you do so, please DON'T post your email address unless you really do want to make it available to the whole world. If you email us, we will ONLY use your email address to notify you if Boar & Castle Sauce becomes available again.

Zestfully yours,
Gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment