Sunday, September 14, 2008

"Bring Back Boar & Castle Sauce!"

"Please bring back Boar & Castle Sauce!" That's by far the most common request we receive by email or phone at the Carolina Sauce Company, and as I explain to the supplicants, I wish we could but it's beyond our ability because we were not the manufacturer. Boar & Castle Sauce was one of the most popular North Carolina sauces that we carried, and we were just as dismayed as its fans when the manufacturer closed his business last year. Since then, however, rumors have been circulating about a possible resurrection of that addictively delicious steak sauce that was oh, soooooo good on so much more than steaks and burgers. Here at Carolina Sauce, we're doing all we can to investigate these rumors, and if they turn out to be true, we intend to re-stock as soon as Boar & Castle Sauce is on the market (and we also remain on the lookout for any sauce that comes close to delivering the same great flavor as the original).

In the meantime, folks have been emailing and calling us to get on our "Boar & Castle Sauce waiting list", so that they can be notified in the event that the sauce (or a close facsimile thereof) is available. Many emails have included stories and recollections about the sauce and the old Boar & Castle Restaurant, where it was born. Here are some of those reminiscences:

“I was so sorry to hear that Boar & Castle Sauce is no longer in production. I spent many happy evenings cruising the Boar & Castle Inn in Greensboro, N.C. as a teenager. The food there, i.e., hot buttered steak sandwiches, onion rings, etc. were all drenched in this sauce which really enhanced the flavor. After moving to Chapel Hill, N.C. I was surprised to find it available even long after the Boar & Castle had gone out of business and been torn down. Last year it got harder and harder to find and now it is not available anywhere here. So, I turned to the web, called Carolina Sauce and found out that it is no longer in production.” --D.B.

“Please let me know when it comes back....I'm down to a half bottle. I don't think I can do without my steak sandwich with the good B&C sauce just like ones we got on West Market St. in the 60's.” --S.G.

“I’ve been enjoying Boar and Castle Sauce for 50 years. Just last month, we introduced it to our 9 year old granddaughter and she loves it. Can’t imagine that it is not a best seller. Hope you have some good news that it will be back soon.” --F.N., Wilmington NC

“As a former Boar and Castle patron of many years, I grew to love Boar & Castle sauce. I now understand it is no longer being made. I moved away from Greensboro several years ago; however, I always stocked up on the sauce to bring home. My children would bring me the sauce when they come to visit and they grew to love it. I have many friends who are out looking for the sauce also for their own use.” --J.H., Burnsville NC

“PLEASE ADD MY NAME TO LIST OF THOSE BEGGING FOR BOAR&CASTLE SAUCE. I WAS RAISED IN GREENSBORO AND USED TO CRUISE THE BOAR & CASTLE. LOVE THE SAUCE ON BUTTERED STEAK SANDWICHES. IF YOU FIND ANYONE RESUMING MAKING IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS I PLAN TO BUY A CASE ... NOTHING LIKE IT ON THE MARKET” --N.D.

We agree with the last writer, as we have yet to find anything quite like Boar & Castle Sauce on the market.... but we'll keep looking. In the meantime, if you'd like to be added to our Boar & Castle Sauce waiting list, please email us at "salesATcarolinasauceDOTcom" or call us at 919-286-1080. Please continue to share your comments and memories, and stay tuned for a future post with more Boar & Castle stories.

Zestfully yours,
Gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment