Sunday, August 31, 2008

Reminiscing About The Boar & Castle Restaurant & Sauce

Emails continue to pour in from folks who miss their Boar and Castle Sauce and want to be notified if this venerable old steak sauce is ever available again. Many of these emails include touching memories of the Boar & Castle Restaurant, which closed in 1979 after over 50 years of serving delicious hearty fare in Greensboro, North Carolina. Some people recount romances (perhaps sparked by the sauce??), while others fondly recall favorite menu items featuring the sauce. Here are a few of those reminiscences:

“I have been searching every grocery store for my life-long addiction, Boar and Castle. I cannot imagine a burger without it. Please let me know if EVER you get information regarding its availability again. My father proposed to my mother at the famous establishment many, many years ago and it has always been in my family's pantry for well over 50 years. I am mourning a terrible lose right now! Thank you for keeping me informed.” --W.O.

“I would love to purchase a bottle of Boar and Castle Sauce. Is it available? Please let me know. I use to love their hot dogs back in the 50s.” --W.O.L., Lavonia GA

“Please let me know when I will be able to buy Boar and Castle sauce. Live in Alex City, AL but grew up at the Castle. NEED THAT SAUCE!! Thanks.” --A.C.

“Please let me know if Castle Sauce becomes available. It is my favorite sauce--first had it at the Boar and Castle in 1965 and have continued to purchase it ever since.” --E.S.

“Please notify me if this becomes available again. I love the sauce and remember those butter steak sandwiches and the Castle Burgers. We have been searching for it as we only have a small amount left.” --J.B.

“Please don't discontinue Boar and Castle Sauce! I have used it for years and won't have anything else to put on my hamburger! I grew up eating castleburgers and buttered steaks at the Boar and Castle. Please inform me when I will be able to purchase it again. Thanks” --V.T.

"BRING BACK BOAR and CASTLE SAUCE…. Once you taste the sauce, you're hooked for life.” --N.B., Carolina Beach, NC

Going by the flood of fan mail that keeps coming in, that last writer wasn't exaggerating! I don't think any other North Carolina product has ever had such a loyal following. If you have a Boar & Castle Sauce story that you'd like to share, or if you'd like to be added to our waiting list, please email us at "salesATcarolinasauceDOTcom." You can also leave a comment on this blog, but if you do so, please DON'T post your email address unless you really do want to make it available to the whole world. If you email us, we will ONLY use your email address to notify you if Boar & Castle Sauce becomes available again.

Zestfully yours,
Gloria


1 comment:

  1. grew up cruising "The Castle" in Greensboro during high school. Amazing burgers because of the sauce and some amazing dates too. GREAT memories of the Boar and Castle. How about another Boar and Castle, if Gino Marchetti can bring back "Ginos" to Baltimore and PA, why can't someone bring back "The Castle"
    Thanks, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete