North Carolina barbecue sauces, West Indian hot sauces and Jamaican jerk seasonings dominated our list of best-selling products at the Carolina Sauce Company last month -- but don't worry, bacon also made an appearance.
Here are the top 10 best-selling sauces and seasonings for March:
1. Wells Hog Heaven BBQ Sauce: This vinegar-based barbecue sauce from Burgaw, North Carolina (just outside Wilmington) is a favorite of fans of authentic eastern NC pulled pork barbecue -- there are no tomatoes or thickeners -- with a tangy flavor purists will appreciate. Wells is our best-selling product of all time, and you can also use it as a marinade for chicken.
2. Matouk's Calypso Sauce: Made in Trinidad & Tobago, this full-bodied, flavorful and fiery mustard-based hot sauce is popular around the world, and also happens to be our top-selling hot sauce. It comes in a generous 10oz bottle for the same price you'd pay for lesser hot sauces in 5oz bottles. Superb on meats, poultry, rice & beans, grilled or roasted fare, and anywhere you want to add genuine West Indian flavor.
Matouk's West Indian Hot Sauce: Not quite as hot as Matouk's Calypso and with a delightful fruit sweetness from papaya, this delectable scotch bonnet pepper hot sauce pairs well with chicken and seafood, in stews, over burgers and with other meat dishes.
4. Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, Hot & Spicy: Walkerswood is the best-known name in the world for Jamaican jerk products, and their traditional Hot & Spicy jerk seasoning is our top-selling jerk or curry here at Carolina Sauce. This thick wet rub or paste is made the old-fashioned way for plenty of fiery heat and authentic flavor that will penetrate even the toughest meat and infuse your food with the exotic flavors of Jamaica. Perfect for all meats and poultry, as well as with potatoes and other hearty vegetables.
Walkerswood MILD Jerk Seasoning: This mild jerk seasoning paste is breaking into our top 10 list in a very impressive manner, finishing fifth overall for March. It delivers all of the exotic flavor of its spicier sibling, but with fewer scotch bonnet peppers for a gentler heat, which makes it ideal for fish and seafood as well as more delicate vegetarian dishes.
6. Matouk's Hot Sauces Gift Set: Appearing on our best-sellers list for the first time, this 4-pack of Matouk's Hot Sauces contains full-size bottles of Matouk's best-known hot sauces: Their super-hot West Indian Flambeau Sauce, savory Salsa Picante Hot Pepper Sauce, feisty Calypso Sauce, and flamboyant West Indian Salsa Picante Sauce. When you buy them together in this gift set, you pay less than you would if you buy them individually. Our Matouk's Hot Sauces Gift Set is a great gift idea for anyone who enjoys hot and spicy foods or appreciates great hot sauces.
7. Matouk's West Indian Flambeau Sauce: This is the hottest of the Matouk's family of hot sauces, made primarily with select aged scotch bonnet peppers. The thick texture and deep red color are indicative of just how much pure pepper mash is in this sauce! If you can handle the heat, you'll swoon over the rich pepper flavor of this classic tropical hot sauce. Excellent with robust, savory dishes like grilled meats, hearty stews, roast chicken or pork, red beans & rice, and even on breakfast eggs, sausage & hash browns (if you dare).
Scott's Barbecue Sauce: The origins of this classic eastern NC vinegar barbecue sauce from Goldsboro, North Carolina can be traced back to the early 20th century. Made with the simplest all-natural ingredients (vinegar, peppers and salt), the secret is in the blending, and the Scott family ain't talking. A bit spicier than Wells Hog Heaven, Scott's BBQ Sauce is ideal for pulled pork barbecue (especially if you like a zippy, spicy and tangy sauce), and the label also includes a recipe for old-fashioned BBQ chicken.
9. Bacon of the Month Clubs: When you're looking for an unforgettable gift for a bacon fanatic, you'll have their eternal gratitude if you sign them up for any of the Bacon of the Month clubs available through our partner BaconFreak. Available in 3-, 6- and 12-month commitments, you can also select from specialty bacon clubs including nitrate-free, no pepper, and more. Regardless of what special occasion you're shopping for, from Father's Day to Christmas to birthdays and more, a Bacon of the Month club subscription is always appropriate and appreciated.
UNC Tarheels Grilling & Tailgating Gift Sets: If you're a fan, alum, student, faculty or other supporter of the UNC Tarheels -- or if you need a gift for someone who fits that description -- you can't go wrong with either the UNC Tar Heels Grilling Sauces Gift Box or the UNC Tar Heels Tailgating Gift Box, each of which is officially licensed and emblazoned with the colors and logo of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The Grilling Sauces gift box comes with a full-size bottle each of Cajun, Lime and Peach grilling sauces, while the Tailgating gift box comes with full-size bottles/jars of tangy BBQ sauce, fiery cayenne hot sauce, and spicy picante salsa.