Monday, March 15, 2010

Oops, I Did It Again!

You'd think by now I'd have learned my lesson, especially since I've given Greg much grief when he's done the same thing AND I've blogged about this topic before. But I did it again this morning, and paid the price this afternoon while eating my lunch.

Admittedly, I was half-asleep when I made my sandwich just after 6 am today (and my body hasn't yet accepted Daylight Savings Time so it definitely felt like 5 am). But that's still no excuse. What did I do? I slathered my sandwich in the extract-laden DEFCON 1 Extreme Heat Sauce, instead of the tamer (but still hot) DEFCON 2 Medium Heat Sauce sitting next to it in my refrigerator.

I didn't notice the error until hours later, when I was half-way through my sandwich and the burn in my mouth kept getting worse, and no amount of water would put it out. Then my lips started throbbing, feeling like I had slathered them in Tiger Balm (an intense capsaicin-based ointment for sore muscles that is NOT intended for ingestion). Foolishly, I finished the sandwich, not yet realizing what I had done and instead wondering how I had managed to become a hot sauce wuss overnight. When my stomach started pitching and rolling, as it tends to do if I ingest too much capsaicin extract, it dawned on me that I had used the wrong sauce on my sandwich. Thankfully I did have some milk in my mini-fridge at work, which settled my stomach and eased the sting in my mouth and burn on my lips, but it took several hours before everything settled back down to normal.

I guess the one good thing that came from this experience is that the resulting endorphin rush perked me up enough to save me from an afternoon cuppa joe. And it reminded me to be more merciful the next time Greg does the same thing -- and when I get home tonight I'm moving that bottle of DEFCON 1 to the back of the fridge, far away from #2 and from the sandwich condiments!

Zestfully yours,
Gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment