Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Zesty Russian Dressing

When I was growing up, I remember my Mom buying Russian Dressing at the grocery store. It was one of my favorite salad dressings, with a tangy tomato flavor that had just a bit of zip and added lively flavor to otherwise bland and boring iceberg lettuce salads (my parents didn't like any other type of lettuce, so we ate iceberg). Russian Dressing must have fallen out of favor over the years, as it's been at least a couple of decades since I last saw a bottle of Russian Dressing at a grocery store. Fortunately, I can make my own Russian Dressing--which is no doubt much healthier than the bottled variety. Here's my version of classic Russian Dressing:

Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ketchup (I like to use a spicy ketchup)
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs fresh-squeezed lime juice
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs cider vinegar
1 to 2 Tbs water
1 Tbs finely minced sweet onion
1 Tbs finely chopped dill or sweet pickle (I use hot dill pickle chips)
1 garlic clove, finely minced (I use spicy pickled garlic)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper, preferably freshly ground

Combine all ingredients (use 1 Tbs water) in a clean glass screw-top jar. Cover tightly and shake to mix well. If the dressing seems too thick, add the second tablespoon of water and shake well. Taste for balance, and add a little more salt or other ingredients if desired, making sure to cover and shake well after adding anything. Chill until ready to use, then shake again before serving. Makes about 1 1/2 to 1 34 cups. Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator.

Zestfully yours,
Gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment