|Photo by burgundavia, on Flickr|
That is, until I learned this super-easy, knifeless and foolproof method for peeling tomatoes. It's quick, too, especially if you have a LOT of tomatoes to peel.
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. Fill a large bowl with water and some ice to create an ice bath deep enough to completely submerge the largest of your tomatoes.
3. Working one tomato at a time, spear it with a fork (a long-stemmed BBQ fork works really well) and plunge it into the boiling water, holding it there for 20 to 30 seconds.
4. Lift the tomato out and immediately plunge into the ice bath for several seconds, until cool to the touch.
5. Lift the tomato out. The peel or skin win slip right off with your fingers.
Carolina Sauce Company