Sunday, January 20, 2013

Zesty Turnips with Wilted Greens

turnips with greens
My inspiration for the following recipe was the Fingerling Potatoes with Wilted Kale recipe by Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide, a page that I follow on Facebook.

Originally, I wanted to make this using turnips AND their green tops, but alas the only turnips available had been trimmed of their tops. I did have some kale, however, so that worked out just fine. Instead of the paprika in the original recipe for potatoes, I used a bit of allspice because it complements the tart "bite" of turnips and kale. Here is what I did:

Ingredients
1 to 1 1/2 lb turnips, peeled & cubed (1 to 1 1/2" cubes)
1 large bunch of kale OR the green tops from the turnips, washed & tough stems trimmed
Olive oil or bacon fat (I used the latter)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
1/8 tsp ground allspice

Turnips with turnip greens & mustard
Cook the turnips until fork-tender, either in the microwave with a little water (3-5 minutes) or in boiling water on the stove (10-15 minutes), then drain & set side. While the turnips are cooking, tear the kale or greens into bite-size pieces. Heat the fat or oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the garlic about 1-2 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add mustard & caraway seeds and saute 1 minute. Add turnips, sprinkle with allspice and stir to coat the turnips with the fat & seasonings. Add the kale or greens and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted and tender -- this took me closer to 15 minutes rather than the 5 in the original recipe, but it could very well be due to my old electric stove. Use your judgement and cook until the greens are tender to your taste. Serves 2 to 4 as a side dish.

Zestfully yours,
Gloria


2 comments:

  1. Oh allspice! This looks fantastic. I love turnip greens. Katherine's more into kale. Glad we could inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, and for the compliment - high praise coming from you! I'm looking forward to trying more of your recipes. Your posts keep my creative juices flowing :-)
      Zestfully yours,
      Gloria

      Delete