best-selling barbecue sauces for 2008 at the Carolina Sauce Company online store:
1. North Carolina's very own Carolina Swamp Sauce finished the year as the best-selling barbeque sauce, despite its not being a traditional vinegar-based BBQ sauce. Instead, Swamp Sauce features Caribbean-inspired tangy-spicy flavors that make it a mouthwatering marinade and grilling sauce for chicken, shrimp and meats.
2. Wells Hog Heaven Barbecue Sauce finished in a very close second place. Hailing from Wells Meat Market in the tiny eastern NC town of Burgaw, Wells Hog Heaven BBQ Sauce is an authentic eastern NC vinegar-based barbecue sauce without tomatoes and with a pleasant peppery kick.
3. Another eastern style vinegar based BBQ sauce, Carolina Cupboard Eastern NC Bar-B-Que Sauce, took third place honors for 2008.
4. Continuing with the eastern NC theme, the fourth best-selling BBQ sauce for 2008 was Scott's Barbecue Sauce from Goldsboro. What distinguishes Scott's is that its roots date back to 1917, and it's made with a hefty dose of red pepper and no sugar, making it ideal for folks who like their pulled pork BBQ savory and spicy!
5. The original Bone Suckin' Sauce, a western NC style barbecue sauce featuring plenty of tomatoes along with vinegar, finished fifth on the list of 2008's best-selling barbeque sauces. It comes with free recipes, too!
6. Next on the list is Carolina Treet, a unique barbecue sauce in that you use it for cooking, instead of adding it to prepared food. Carolina Treet is especially good with chicken, and because you use it on the stovetop or in the oven you don't need to wait for nice grilling weather to enjoy it!
7. The mild Homestyle version of Jim's Own Bar-B-Que Sauce came in seventh for 2008. Jim's Own BBQ Sauce is a tangy-sweet Piedmont style BBQ sauce (vinegar, tomatoes, sugar & a touch of pepper) that comes in three sizes (pints, quarts and mini-jars), and you get free recipes when you buy it from the Carolina Sauce Company!
8. In eighth place was the original flavor of George's Barbecue Sauce, another eastern NC barbeque sauce that adds just a touch of tomato and apple to its vinegar base for a mellow flavor that earned it recognition in the popular cooking magazine "Every Day with Rachael Ray" as the best in the Carolinas! George's BBQ Sauce comes with free recipes, too.
9. Straight from the famous Sam Dillard's BBQ joint in Durham NC comes the 9th place finisher, Dillard's BBQ Sauce. With its unique blend of turmeric and other spices in a vinegar and tomato base, Dillards Bar-B-Q Sauce is great with chicken as well as pork.
10. Completing the list of 2008's best-selling barbecue sauces is Jim's Own Hot Bar-B-Que Sauce. With the same great flavor as the original Homestyle version of Jim's Own Sauce, the Hot version includes plenty of habanero fire for folks who like their BBQ hot. Available in pints and quarts, Jim's Own Hot BBQ Sauce also comes with free recipes.