Friday, August 9, 2013

Midnight Chocolate-Pecan Brownies

I don't consider the following to be "my recipe" because all I did was add two ingredients to the directions on the box of Ghirardelli brownie mix. I also used chocolate-infused olive oil, which I had received from a California food & wine club. You might be able to find this specialty oil at a gourmet shop or specialty foods store, especially if you live in a big city.

It really is worth the effort to locate this odd-sounding but remarkably luscious flavored oil, especially if you regularly bake brownies, chocolate cakes or other chocolate desserts calling for oil. It enhances the chocolate flavor while adding richness and trust me, you won't taste the "olive" in the baked results. You can also use it as a finishing oil over berries, ice cream or other desserts, much like you would use a fine nut oil.

I call them "midnight brownies" because the coffee adds ultra-dark earthiness and complexity to the already deep dark chocolate flavor of the mix, and also helps you stay up past midnight if you're working or studying late at night.

Ingredients
1 box Ghirardelli brand Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix
1 egg
1/2 cup chocolate-infused extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 heaping tsp instant espresso or instant coffee powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325°F and grease an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" baking pan. In a large bowl mix together the egg, oil, water and espresso powder until thoroughly combined. Add the brownie mix and pecans, then stir until completely combined. Pour into the greased pan and bake according to package directions: 40 to 45 minutes for a metal pan or 45 to 50 minutes for a glass pan. As the package explains, the brownies should look slightly underbaked when you remove the pan from the oven because they'll finish cooking from residual heat as they cool. I used a glass pan and mine were already done within 45 minutes. Don't overbake or they'll dry out.

Zestfully yours,
Gloria
Carolina Sauce Company


2 comments:

  1. G'day! LOVE brownies Gloria, true!
    Love the combo of choc and pecans too! YUM!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Joanne - I love brownies too, and hadn't made them in well over 20 yrs! Next time I make them (and I won't wait 2 decades this time), I'm going to add a little bit of hot chili pepper powder and some cinnamon to spice things up :-)
      Thanks for your comment, and hope to see you on my Carolina Sauce Facebook page!
      Zestfully yours,
      Gloria

      Delete